Wednesday 12 December 2007

Love

For some strange reason, I feel oh so lovey-dovey. Bear with me.

Love

Tell me, when first did we meet?
It can't be a mere three years ago,
For then it seemed that you and I
Have accompanied each other ages, through
The lives of men and e'en speechless beasts.
All our lifetimes we've been together,
And through timeless ages, since the dawn of time,
We've always known each other.
So, I beseech you, tell me, love -
And tell me with the surety of knowledge true,
Without the shadow of a nagging doubt.....
When was it that I first saw you?
Was it first in a dark Neanderthal cave
Where your beauty dispelled darkest night
And out hunting, when the beast bared its fangs,
Your saber shone fearless in the dim starlight?
Or in an ancient walled city
That your bejeweled robe brushed negligently
Against a mutely adoring chained slave
Whose doom was fairer for having glimpsed your beauty?
Or mayhap you were the lovely queen,
In a gloomy mediaeval castle of stone
And but a single veiled glance of yours
Chilled this humble serf to the very bone?
Or were you, my lady, hidden in a white Bedouin tent,
The sheik's prized mistress, in precious silks wrapped
And I in torn rags, barely human considered,
Lowliest maid, in your beauty's chains hopelessly trapped?
Were you the lady in fur and ostrich feathers
Whose ruby lips uttered an involuntary cry
As I lay by a smoke-belching chimney:
Broken, bleeding, about to die?
Were yours the tender white hands
That in a slave's hut by cotton fields tended me
While men died and houses were torched
So that I could be set cruelly free?
Tell me, my love, my life, was it you
That gave me hope in sorrow, light in darkest fear?
Was it you I glimpsed a thousand times afar?
I know not, neither do I now care.
For through the ages have I waited and watched and loved
Ne'er hoping you would care for me,
Knowing full well that though I've loved you for ages
This love of ours is never to be.

No comments: