Monday 28 April 2008

Sappho

Sappho rules. Ladies, I point you to this:

Some an army of horsemen, some an army on foot
and some say a fleet of ships is the loveliest sight
on this dark earth; but I say it is what-
ever you desire:


and this:

Come back to me, Gongyla, here tonight,
You, my rose, with your Lydian lyre.
There hovers forever around you delight:
A beauty desired.

Even your garment plunders my eyes.
I am enchanted: I who once
Complained to the Cyprus-born goddess,
Whom I now beseech

Never to let this lose me grace
But rather bring you back to me:
Amongst all mortal women the one
I most wish to see.


*Goes away to try and hunt up more verses*

Has one:

The night is half done,
The moon and Pleiadis have risen,
And I lie in my bed,
Alone...


*is in deep adoration of the woman*

No comments: